New York Association of Black Journalists
GENERAL BODY MEETING
THURSDAY / JANUARY 13, 2022 / 7:00 PM / ZOOM
Introduction of New Board Members
- Board Member Introductions
- President Bonita Sostre
- Vice President Bill Allen
- Parliamentarian Will Patterson
- Treasurer Janelle Griffith
- Secretary Brittney Laryea
- Member-at-Large Vance Land
- Request for members to join committees!
- We need people to help with social media and programming/events especially
- Let us know if you’re interested in an opportunity to host an NYABJ podcast
- Elevating your Entertainment Career Panel // January 20 // 7 PM // Virtual
- Black History Month Mixer // February 10 // 6PM – 9PM // Juniper Bar and Grill
- First round of drinks *FREE* for paid members
Reports from Board Members
- NABJ Finance Report from VP Bill Allen
- Excited to work with our new treasurer, Janelle Griffith.
- Bylaw Update from Treasurer, Will Patterson
- Conflict re: defining membership eligibility
- Email will be sent out by next General Body Meeting
- NABJ Finance Report — Walter Smith Randolph, NABJ Treasurer
- Congratulations on getting the audit completed on time!!
- The chapter has been awarded $2,000 from NABJ ($1,000 to Scholarships!)
- REMINDER: You get a $50 discount at convention if you are a local and national member
- Follow Walter: @walterreports
- Juneteenth: “A Voyage Through Black Brilliance” Gala
- Monday June 20, 2022
- Our largest fundraising event
- Indoor/outdoor event but an in person event
- We need YOUR help planning the gala. Volunteer to serve on the programming committee here.
Special Guest: NABJ President Dorothy Tucker
- August 3, 2022 – August 7, 2022
- We are about 90 % certain that Convention will be in person, in Las Vegas
- We are looking at everything we can do to make our members feel safe
- There is a good chance that boosters will be mandatory
- COVID testing will be required
- There will be mask mandates, separation
- We will be taking temperatures
- You will likely need to sign a waiver acknowledging that we are in a pandemic, etc.
- Get your convention session proposals in early!
- Member Question: Will there be a virtual option for the convention?
- We are also looking at hybrid but there may be some limitations
- Because we are doing a joint convention with NAHJ
- There will likely be a number of virtual workshops
- Job fair: keep it in person
- Member Question: Is the host hotel sponsoring NABJ?
- Hotel is Caesars, $159/night
- They are giving us a lot. I’ll have to talk to you offline… We’ve signed a number of contracts but I can tell you that we do ask for a lot. We’re bringing them 6, 7K people.
- Reminder: Check NABJ.org year-round for updates
- We have a lot of scholarships, student projects
- Stay in touch with the national organization
- Reminder: BEING A LOCAL CHAPTER MEMBER SAVES YOU $50
- Register for: Elevating your Entertainment Career Panel on January 20
- Register for: Black History Month Mixer on February 10
- JOIN A COMMITTEE : https://forms.gle/cvdXR9snMzkPCBBn9
- Share your feedback : https://forms.gle/cvdXR9snMzkPCBBn9